I used Supercollider to read a CSV file of the bus schedule, at each event in the schedule Supercollider plays one of the bus sounds that I recorded. The schedule is read at a tempo of 1.5 minutes per second so that the piece (first bus 0548, last bus 2411) takes about 12 minutes. Now that I have accomplished my main technical goal I can concentrate on refining the aesthetic outcome.
One problem with the piece as it is that there is not enough variation over the 12 minutes to capture the idea of a day going past. The sounds are engaging, but there needs to be a constantly moving mood.
A second problem is that the shape of the schedule is not clear from the piece. There are most buses in the hours of 7-10 and 15-18 but because the tempo is fast (for a whole day) and the bus sounds blend into each other, this is not quite clear just from listening.
The solutions I have is to use many more bus samples and to discern between samples recorded during a quiet part of the day and those taken in a busy period.
1 comment:
Ahh, the lovely sounds of Belconnen. I find it very soothing. I guess it is kinda difficult to create variations, but I'm sure you'll get it right.
Post a Comment