This blog has moved! All new posts will be on charlesmartin.com.au and all the current posts have migrated there too, so please leave comments there instead.

21 October 2010

Piteå cooking!

Achievement for the day was to gather the necessary items for cooking dinner and having a bathroom. Headed down to one of two big supermarkets in town, I chose the one called "Coop" rather than "ICA", which is about 30 minutes walk. Had to limit myself to absolute necessities since I had to carry it all home! 

I bought:
1 bathroom mat
1 shower curtain
8 AA batteries
1 electric jug
microfiber cleaning cloths
self soaping dishwashing sponge thing
Nice teabags
Nice instant coffee
Pasta
2 x instant noodles
nice pasta sauce
beef mince (I think it's beef?)
frozen vegetables
salt
biscuits
gladwrap
shampoo
laundry powder
tissues

and some other stuff I can't remember.

Then, since I had all the ikea cooking stuff, I should be able to make dinner right?

Wrong.

Since I'm in sweden you have to make dinner the Ikea way, i.e. Step 1 is "Build your saucepans", so I had to build and wash all the saucepans etc (see photos).

Luckily the Ikea kit came with a colander and a big pasta spoon thing otherwise I would have been in serious trouble.

Anyway, dinner was successful.

Wondering what other stuff I need? Probably some more varied food, and fruit, etc, but I like keeping it simple. There's waay more room in the fridge than in the rest of the kitchen and there's particularly heaps of room in the freezer, so I can keep lots of frozen stuff on hand. 

Is a microwave necessary? Particularly for defrosting meat, cooking frozen vegetables, reheating yesterday's food? I wonder how much one is. I think they have them at Coop as well.

Next thing I really need are:
Proper sheets -- as much as I love my (Christina's) sleeping bag sheet, I should probably buy regular ones that are easier to wash. Coop has them, but I don't know the words for different sheet forms (i.e. pillow, fitted, regular..) and it was too hard last night to work it out.

Dustpan and brush - Coop didn't seem to have them
Microfibre mop thing - my whole flat has a lino floor which is still dirty. I made a valient attempt with one of my microfibre cloths, but a mop thing would be waay easier. Need the dustpan first.

Posted via email from charles martin

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

you have THREE PAIRS OF SCISSORS in that photo. Why?